Four sunny days in Palma, Mallorca


This was initially supposed to be a post on things to do in Mallorca but to be totally honest, all we did was laze by the pool during the day and then wander around Palma in the evenings. So a lot of sleeping and eating mainly! Sometimes those are exactly the type of vacations you need. We came back to London utterly refreshed and ready to face the gloomy grey weather after spending four perfectly sunny, relaxing days in Palma.




So here’s a list of places I’d recommend eating at:

The Olivar Food Market

This covered food market near Plaça España is a must-visit. It’s open  Monday to Saturday, 7:00 am to 2:30 pm and Friday from 2:30 pm to 8:00pm


It’s the best food market I’ve ever seen: one hall dedicated to fresh fruit and vegetables, another for seafood, and a third hall just for meat!  For 4 euros, we bought two bags of fruit and I had my first taste of greengages which are lovely. We also picked up gigantic sealed packages of Sobrasada (a soft chorizo-like spicy cured pork sausage) to take back home with us. Best decision of my life. I ate sobrasada every day for the next 2 weeks. Not so good for my waistline but my stomach was thrilled to bits.

Tast Union

There are two Tast locations – we went to the one on Calle Union in the centre which was fantastic. Serving up exquisite tapas, we gorged ourselves ordering plate after plate. The patatas bravas were particularly good – hot, crispy potato wedges smothered in a spicy tomato sauce. It was so good we wanted to go back again but were sadly disappointed when we found it closed on Sunday.



Toque

Toque on Calle Frederico Garcia Lorca was a nice change of pace after stuffing ourselves non-stop with tapas. Owned by a Belgian, the food is an interesting mix of Belgian dishes with Majorcan influences.

La Casa Gallega


We stumbled across this restaurant on Compte de Sallent while we were on the hunt to find the other location of Tast. Disappointed that Tast was closed on Sundays, we decided to check the busy restaurant next door. I’m so glad we did – everything we had from the croquettas to the tortilla and even the unassuming humble salad was so delightful. My friend adored the polpo a la gallega. 

And finally a picture of that beautiful blue sky of Mallorca while I was lounging by the pool (since I'm writing this and it's dull grey outside in London).

Majorca - I will be back! :)


Comments