Indian Food at Selfridges: All my favourites! Dosas, Chaat, Pav Bhaji

Pani Puri, Bhel Puri and Pav Bhaji


I couldn't believe that I was going to Selfridges, of all places, to eat a Dosa. Quite popular in south India - but it's almost unheard of to find one on the menu in any Indian restaurant in central London - you'd have to trek all the way to Wembley or Southall for a good masala dosa. Luckily for me, my friend discovered that right on the fourth floor of Selfridges is a food court that serves dosas - so there I was - watching a masala dosa being prepared right in front of my eyes. A savoury crepe that is soft and fluffy yet still a little crisp; filled with gently spiced turmeric yellow potatoes and served with a spicy red chutney and an aromatic sambhar. The first bite brought back memories of home - it's been ages since I've had one. It's funny how growing up I would always make a fuss when my mum cooked dosas for breakfast or lunch but here I am now waxing poetically on about them!

The food court also serves some really nice indian chaats like Pani Puri or Gol Guppas - crisp little spheres stuffed with chickpeas which you quickly dunk into a tangy tamrind and spice water before stuffing them into your mouth and Bhel Dahi Puri - the same stuffed spheres but this time covered in yoghurt, a sweet tamarind sauce and a spicy green sauce. We also had the Pav Bhaji - mashed up tomatoes and potatoes make the flavourful bhaji and the pav is a lightly toasted round bread served with the bhaji.

So if you get a sudden Dosa craving or fancy checking out Indian food that's not the usual curry/kebab offering, now you know where to go!


Selfridges
Food Court 4th Floor
400 Oxford Street London W1A 1AB Tube: Bond Street 




Masala Dosa





Comments