Yashin: Intricate, beautiful and expensive Sushi in Kensington




My friend Rose and I decided to catch up over dinner one night at Yashin. Located just off of Kensington High Street, Yashin is known for their flame-torched sushi that is so good that you don't need even need soy sauce. My friend had given me rave reviews and I was eager to try it out.

We had the best seats in the house - right at the chefs counter. I watched in utter fascination how the chefs prepared the sushi - delicate and intricate creations, so beautifully presented. They put on quite a show with the blow torch they use to sear the sushi.  






To start with, we ordered a Tuna Carpaccio with Truffle Ponzu jelly. Words can not describe how good this was. The moment it entered our mouths, we went silent. So intensely good - it literally melts in your mouth.

I couldn't think or focus on what Rose was saying - all I was aware of was the tuna melting in my mouth in perfect harmony with citrus-y  ponzu and decadent truffle. It was like the taste of pure luxury if that makes sense.



Then the beautifully presented Omakase arrived. Visually stunning - quite a treat for your palate. The Omakase had 8 specially prepared pieces of sushi and one sushi roll of the day - which was spicy tuna.There were a few unorthodox pairings like the Parmesan garnish on salmon and the thin sliver of strawberry on the sea bass. 
All in all, they worked well though I couldn't help thinking to myself this plate costs £30 - 'ARE YOU CRAZY'!





In addition to the spicy tuna roll, we also go a prawn tempura roll. Both were good as well but we had been spoiled by the previous plates of food.

It was lovely experience with some Grade A quality sushi but you definitely paid the price. 50£ per person is quite expensive and so Yashin is more of a one-time splurge for me. But if the price tag doesn't scare you off, I definitely recommend trying it out.

Yashin

1A Argyll Road London W8 7DB
Tel: 0207 938 1536
Tube: High Street Kensington






Yashin Sushi Bar on Urbanspoon

Square Meal

Comments