Café Luc


The downside of most good restaurants in London is that everyone knows they’re good. They become so popular that to get a table you either have to plan two weeks in advance to get a reservation or there is a ‘no reservation’ policy so you have to be prepared to wait in a queue for at atleast an hour.

These are two extremes but lately, I’ve gotten used to meticulously planning the best way to get a table, that I get flummoxed when I can walk in and automatically be seated with minimum fuss. Of course, that leads me to doubt the quality of the food. If it’s not popular, than how could it possibly be good? Hmmm.

I CAN NOT believe I’ve been conditioned to think this way. I’ve also been brainwashed into thinking that a ‘2 hour only seating’ policy is normal, nevermind the fact that I’m spending quite a bit on an expensive meal. Somewhere, along the way I jumped on this crazed merry-go-around of rules dictated by restaurants and forgotten how lovely it is to go to place that can seat you with minimum fuss and then lets you enjoy your meal without rushing you to order the next course.

I almost got a taste of this at Café Luc in Marylebone when we walked in on a Friday night and got seated in less than 2 minutes without a reservation.  I say almost because they did keep interrupting to remind us that the kitchen closed at 10:30 and they close at 11:30pm. Nonetheless, the meal was quite nice though on the expensive side. We each paid 35 pounds which I thought for 2 mains and a cocktail is a bit much.

The menu was traditional French though no Duck Confit which I had a craving for. We had the Veal Paillarde which was grilled veal with rocket salad and Beef Bourguignon – beef cooked in red wine with little bits of bacon, onion and mushrooms and a side of potatoes and ended it with a selection of petits fours. The veal and beef were cooked very well – the beef felt like it was melting in my mouth.

I’m not sure if I would go again – I just didn’t find their menu interesting enough but if you’re keen to try French food with no fuss, then I guess it’s not a bad choice.

Café Luc
50 Marylebone High Street W1U 5HN
Tel: 02072589878
Tube: Baker Street

Comments